Thursday, December 24, 2009

A jumble of blether, aided by a glass of wine

There are lots of blethery thoughts in my head at present, most of them confused and competing for my time.  Perhaps writing them down will help me sort them out.

Firstly, madzer goals, that people like me shouldn't contemplate.
Last year in May, I crewed for Cool Runner Osmo at the North Face 100s.  That was so much fun.  Being part of that is what helped motivate me for much of this years running.  I sat at the end and chatted to some of the finishers and thought, hell, one year, I will do that.

So, I decided that I'd love to be part of the North Face 2010.  I have got drunk many nights with my friend Sharene and promised her countless times I would run an ultra with her (what was I thinking, the furthest I have ever run is 26km??) but now, it seems, the goal is set, the training is in motion and the clock is ticking....

Brewer has agreed to run with me in a team - so I do the first 54km and he does the rest.  In my pitch to him asking to do this for me, I did mention that his ego had to stay at home, as he was likely to be stone motherless last, but that didn't seem to bother him.  He said yes and I wrote back "what the fuck have I done?".  His response was "that was what I was thinking".

So, two eejits with little or no trail running experience are fronting up for the North Face, in May, when it is freezy frosty (and in Brewers case, when it is dark).

So - what have I done since I last blogged?  Well, consistent runs to work x 3 per week (12km a go) and hill repeats on Tues mornings with the local boys in the Blue Mountains.  Mind you this week I thought they were trying to ditch me, but as usual, I was being far too sensitive about my speed or lack thereof. Will be out there Tues morning and as I will be on holiday I will be looking to go as hard and long as I can.

Boxing Day - Kedumba Pass Fatass
Farrrrkkkkkkk!!!  I am so looking forward to this, but am also terrified.
 Vstar said if I go for a second lap, he will know I am serious about North Face.  There  is a challenge in itself in that.  So two laps it is.  I am in very good company so am not scared about getting lost etc, I just need to make sure I keep myself nice on Christmas Day and don't overdo the fizzy drinks.

New House
We have found a house we both really like.  I was happy happy happy until I thought about the run to work.  There is no way I could run 35km to work, no matter how freaking determined I was.
So, to be honest, I am thinking that I don't want to buy this house  because it will interfere with my ability to run to work.  For me, that has been the great equaliser.  I find it hard to go out after a hard day and run 15km, but worked up the discipline to go to bed early, not drink (which has been GREAT for me) and get up early and run to work.  It has been so good for my state of mind.  There is no better feeling than starting the day with a run, getting out in the fresh air, running by the river, and just feeling the wind against my skin.  I love it and I think it has done wonders for my well being this year.  I just dont know if any fancy home can replace that.  In fact, I do know.  It can't.

Christmas
Christmas depresses me.  I have no idea why.  Maybe because my family and my twin in particular are in another country and the whole Christmassy thing is so family oriented.   I don't seem to be able to be happy at Christmas and imagine all sorts of stupid things.  By January I always seem to be able to get a grip on reality, but in December I seem to go a wee bit mad and sad.  I am just starting to just accept that.

Next time I write, I will have succumbed to the Kedumba Cliffs.  Oh my!!!

1 comment:

  1. My God, you've completely flipped!

    I suppose it was just a matter of time.

    Good onya!

    ReplyDelete