Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Do you ever notice that all runners go on about is either injuries when they or down or PB's when they're up? 

Well there aren't too many PB's in this blog, but I have plenty to talk about on the injury front!

Last week I was rather despondent, not quite sure what to be at, with being left child-free since the departure of our beloved offspring to Party Central in Bathurst.  You'd have thought with all that free time on my hands I'd be smashing it up, but for some reason I didn't know what to be at.

By the weekend, and with him safely home, motivation returned!!  Bizarre!!

Mitchells Pass has been closed to cars, so I thought I would treat myself to a run down there and back up the stairs to Elizabeth Lookout. Fitness is still there, in fact, dare I say, the stairs were not as challenging as they once were?  Maybe those intervals on the bike have been useful after all.  Did a nice hour and half run and felt good.

Sunday I went out with Bernie and Blue Dog to part of the North Face course.  The combination of the wet weather and my already blistered feet from the orthotics wasn't great and I had to ask them to walk the last few kms.  However the last few kms included the Golden Staircase which was good to experience (lots of huffing and puffing by me) and I saw my first ever leech.  Well actually hundreds of the little suckers, the ground was teeming with them.

I felt so good at having seen some of the course and was starting to feel really positive again about NF until I got home, had a shower and realised I had no skin at all on the spot where I had the blister. 

Cue gross picture of blister.




This kept me very quiet for a few days, but went to see Nice Physio Man again (who by now must be sick to the back teeth of me) - he put some "Opsite" on it, and 8hrs later, it is feeling really good. 

Yesterday putting my weight down flat on my foot would have meant it cracking (the very thought of this grosses me out) - but the Opsite keeps it moist so that I am not getting that cracking skin.  Bargain!!

So am back to feeling like a happy camper.  Will be biking and pumping for a good few days till this heals, but feeling positive, looking forward to getting out on some nice trail runs over the next few weeks and months, ankles are feeling good!  Going to head up to watch the finish of Six Foot at the weekend (just to see what really smashed up looks like!!) I am looking forward to see some of my favourite people finish their race, hopefully with lots of PBs and smiles and of course BEER!




1 comment:

  1. Fred,
    What an amazing blister - I've got to get me some of those orthotics; they look great!

    Seriously though, hope that heals soon and you can stop hopping.
    Cheers!
    Wayne.

    ReplyDelete