Thursday, April 15, 2010

More Training Blether

I have a confession.  The "real" reason I entered this stoopid race was to lose 5kgs.  I reckoned the sheer fear of the event would have me running more and therefore as a result I would lose weight. 

I didn't factor in having no kitchen for a month.  One sure fire way to take the excitement out of eating is the prospect of washing your dishes in the laundry sink and making everything in a toasty machine.

Those bags of brown rice that you put in the microwave are now my staples coupled with veggie wraps in the toasty machine (with melted cheese on the OUTSIDE, yum).  So scales so far have registered about a 2kg loss.  2kg!!  I have never worked so hard IN MY LIFE and all I get is a measly 2kgs!!  Mind you, I have been having really odd cravings, yesterday I took the day off work so that I could do a long run, which was just as well, because not only was I craving cucumbers and balsamic vinegar, but made a 30km round trip just to pick up some special balsamic dressing....

But seriously, I have put so much into training for this race, and yesterday I was asking myself why.  Others I know have grand plans for a podium finish or a certain time they want to achieve.  My goals are no less important to me than theirs, but mine is simply to finish within cut off (and I am so well organised that I haven't quite figured what the cut off IS as yet for the marathon pairs)....and not to suffer too much on the day!!  Oh, and to enjoy a pleasant day in the mountains! 

Anyway, that said, I have stepped up the training again to include a mid week longer run, so yesterday ran from home, down Mitchells Pass, around the river, back up to the Old Highway and up the stairs to Elizabeth Lookout and along Glenbrook Road and up Allen Street to home.  I was very pleased with myself to have run (albeit slowly) all the way up all the hills.

So this week so far: 
Monday PT Session and 5km on the bike
Tuesday 6.5km
Wed 21.75km

Plan for the rest of the week:
Thurs: 6.5km
Friday 6.5km
Saturday: 30km (but not "mentally" there yet - needing some incentive!!)
Sunday: 16km

Next week will make two of the mid week runs longer.

I am surprised at how well I am recovering from longer runs.  I am scared not to run every day - in case I "forget" how to do it!!!!

I have terrible chafing on my back from my new fancy pack - so need to organise some tape or something for race day.

Otherwise all is going well!!

2 comments:

  1. your training is brilliant! Doing long weekend runs is the key, and you are doing just that. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your training schedule sounds perfect - and makes me tired just reading it. I think what you are doing is admirable - it doesn't matter what your inspiration for doing it is.

    ReplyDelete