Sunday, December 27, 2009

First Step

The Wailing Walls of Kedumba

Yesterday was the "12 hours of Kedumba" Fatass organised by Mister G.

The loop we were planning is a 7.5km steep descent down to the Jamison Creek and back up - all up 15km.  Kedumba Pass is in the Blue Labyrinth part of the Blue Mountains, near Wentworth Falls.

My plan was to do one, maybe two loops, as a "kick off" to my training for the 54km run planned for May, at the North Face, which is held in the same area.

Well the walls didn't wail, but my achilles and calves did when we ran back up the Kedumba Pass.  I had been nervous all day about the run, but when we finally got out there, it was gorgeous.  The evening itself, despite being late December was misty and damp.  The views across the valley were beautiful, sun setting, mist swirling, and the feeling of pure peace in the bush.  Running down to the river was brilliant and by now with all my downhill running, I was feeling very comfortable, enjoying the view and generally wondering why I had been so nervous.

Last week I ran Sydney Marathon Clinic and improved my 10km time considerably.  I think I ran about eight and a half minutes faster than the previous time I ran that course.  I ran the 10km in 57 mins 49 seconds, which is around a five minute PB.  But ever since, my achilles and calves have been sore, and I have tried to rest them as much as I could.

So yesterday, that was my main concern, how the achilles would hold up.  My last long run ended in a hobble so I was hoping the resting and the stretching would help.

However, pretty much as soon as we turned around at the river to run back up the pass, my achilles and calves went into protest mode.  Being with other people who are keen to run up large hills is good for me, but it was also really tough with Kelly was spurring me on to keep running, whilst my ankles were screaming at me to stop!!  I did at one stage ask her if she would like to coach me for the North Face.  She's pretty tough!!!  She didn't want the boys to see us walking, so every time she heard someone coming, no matter what the gradient, we ran!!  Well, I shuffled.  She ran!

For about 3 or 4 km the calves and ankles were just spasming, which was unpleasant to say the least.  Every time we ran my feet felt like blocks of lead.  However we kept on going and after about 4km they seemed to settle down and we basically maintained a very strong power walk back up, running on the downhill and flatter sections (not that there were many!!).

I think that is the toughest run I have ever done, the hills were relentless.  Despite it only being 15km it was certainly the most challenging terrain I have encountered.  Some of the guys out there were doing 12 hours of hill repeats.  One was enough for me, although I did agree to come back next week with Helen and give it another shot.

I remember as I was going up a very steep bit of the hill, thinking to myself, no way are you doing this North Face caper.  But then I have five months, I have the perfect training ground close to home, in the beautiful Blue Mountains and I have beautiful people around me who are prepared to train with me and give me advice.  So I am keeping on with the training, I am staying positive, but I will be back to that freaking hill to give it a shake once more, and I will be on the lookout for other hills like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment