Saturday, December 5, 2009

Spanner in the Works - A Self Inflicted Spanner

Understatement of the year : when Art P, owner of the Blaxland Thai Restaurant happened to mention that the "chillies were hot this week". I am currently sitting here awaiting bottom recovery and the ability to walk with comfort once more. I am actually looking at ways to put off this mornings run, but there is no getting away from it. I have to do it.

I missed Friday mornings run. I tell myself at the start of the week which runs I am going to do, and then I tell my friend what I am doing, and he keeps me honest and every day, asks if I did my run. So already feeling bad about missing Fridays session.

Thursday night, our auditors invited me out to dinner. Early night I thought. Be home by 10pm Darling, I told Himself. At 1am I found myself belting out Abba numbers and playing air guitar in a dodgy Karaoke bar somewhere in the Cross.

Anyway, that put paid to the early run. In fact, once in work on Friday morning I was feeling very ordinary, and no amount of sugary drinks or tuna wraps were working at improving my feeling of well being. Someone suggested self testing (in our work, we are not allowed to be on site with a blood alcohol reading of over 0.02) so I thought, hmmm, what are the chances of me being over that at 10am? Anyway took the test and was 0.045 which meant I COULD GO HOME!! Hallelujah and praise the Lord. There was definately to be no running for me yesterday. Sleeping, yes. Running, no.

So today, with chilli burn and the dregs of yesterdays hangover still lurking, I write this, trying to motivate myself to get out there. In other worrisome developments, it is our Christmas Party tonight at work, which means probably more fizzy beverages, and therefore I need this workout.... Mind you, I have orchestrated some very fun, non drinking activities for tonight.

First of all, Space Hopper races. I researched Space Hoppers very carefully on the net and now we have six shiny new adult sized space hoppers and a whistle. The plan is to race them around the lake.

We also have a home made volley ball court - complete with sand. (It's a beach theme).

There is the duck pond, for a swim.

And a band playing, so we can dance.

All of the above will cut into sitting around drinking time I am hopeful.

Tomorrow is the Cougar Conference at the Intercontinental, which means more fizzy drinks.

And food.

So the challenge for me is to restrict calories, restrict the fizzy stuff and keep myself nice, because next week I have three runs to work to do, plus hill repeats at 5.30am Tuesday morning, as well as a long run on Sunday. There, said it, so now have to do it!!

2 comments:

  1. PS Did my run. 7km with a few laps of the soccer oval thrown in as intervals (ie me running as fast as my legs would carry me for 30 steps, walking for 30 steps, running fast again etc etc). Feel human again. Will be targeting the mineral water tonight. Plan to do same run in the morning. Face is getting thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine, but did you keep yourself nice?

    ReplyDelete