Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day Two Marathon Training

So tonight himself took off to the pub to watch some fight or play poker or drink beer, or whatever happens on boys nights at the pub. So before he left, I got him to take the packet of Salt and Vinegar Kettle Chips out of the cupboard and put them in his car. Taking no chances. I also bustled him off with his jube jubes and made him throw out his hot chips with salt and vinegar and gravy on top in the big bin outside, just in case I got tempted.

I ran to work today, which is 11.78km and took me one hour fifteen minutes, including stops at traffic lights (which, quite frankly, are very welcome). It has been taking me one hour and fifteen minutes with traffic lights for quite some time now (say 4 months?) so I really am not trying very hard. But today I felt ok, despite having done "hill reps" yesterday. Mind you, I didn't do them very fast, so maybe that was why I felt ok today. But yesterdays effort was about 10.5km, with around 6km of hill repeats. My legs felt ok, my lungs burnt. Which means I have strong muscles in my legs but my fitness is shithouse.

I thought a lot about what a friend had said about my running at the weekend, and what I already knew, that I sway from side to side when I run and this wastes energy. So I tried to lean forward slightly and run from the hips but all that concentrating and leaning forward made me go faster so I got puffed out and had to slow down to my usual gait. I just like running along forgetting I am running and thinking about stuff and planning stuff and pretending that I am a lead singer / guitarist in an all girl rock band belting out some heavy rock, thinking about "form" isn't part of my "runners high".

I think I have perfected my playlist too, with maybe one or two tweaks, I have the PERFECT playlist for me. Lots of screaming, belting out rock music, guitar riffs and me pretending I am the lead singer in a rock band. Oh I think I already said that.

Anyway, I have to go to Sydney to have dinner with Steve and Andrew The Auditors tomorrow night, but I still want to run to work tomorrow, so I have orchestrated a complex logistics operation whereby Himself drops my handbag at work, rings my work colleague who will allow him entrance into our building and places said handbag in my office. Handbag may also be accompanied by choice of dresses, shoes, belts, makeup, perfume etc. I do actually have all this in work, but a wider choice is always a good thing when one is going out on the the terre.

I am concerned however about Fridays scheduled run to work after an evening wining and dining in Sydney....

1 comment:

  1. Surely a run to work after a night on the piss would be a better run?

    ReplyDelete