Sunday, January 24, 2010

Better, better, better

 Temperatures in the Blue Mountains dropped about 15 degrees since yesterday (yesterdays temps maxed out at 43.3 degrees in Sydneys west - yucky poo poo).  My eyeballs dried up when I went outside yesterday, hence much palaver about crap training, no long runs, blahdy blahdy blah.


Today, woke up and lo and behold IT WAS COOL!!  Yahoo!! Running shoes promptly donned, iPod charged up with this, amongst other things:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oW3a8ZcAek

(how cool a song is that?)

and out the door to the National Park for 18kms of trundling along contemplating my navel amongst other things.  

Came home feeling much more positive about training, the scary climby race thing and life in general.  


Oh and went to the party last night, drank four bottles of sparking mineral water, kept away from hammocks and cigars and in bed by 10pm. 


WIN!


Tomorrow the plan is to do the Lovers Walk 10km loop with the horrible stairs just to get the quads ready for the 30km Australia Day run.  


This week will actually be a biggie in terms of kms, which should be good for the old confidence.  


Thinking about it on my run today, I bet my ankle woes not only stem from me being "put together wrong" as the nice physio described it, but from the type of training I was doing.  I was running to work three to four times a week and that was all I was doing.  Now the run is downhill or flat.  No uphills at all.  I wonder if I have built up strength in the quads and suddenly when I am off at Xmas and start doing hill training, my calves have gone "but hang on, we don't normally do any work, we are going on strike".  Or whatever calves might happen to say, could calves, of course, speak. 


Anyway, will try and even up the uphill and downhill running to sort that out.


Was thinking my next long run could be from Woodford, down to the gates (17.5km) and back, all up 35km and hilly hilly hilly, and no real danger of snakes as the path is nice and wide.   Mind you, having said that, wait and see, my next blog report will involve a death adder on the Oaks Trail.




No comments:

Post a Comment