Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's good.

Another great run tonight!!  Yay!

It started to rain really hard and I thought, bloody brilliant, perfect running weather for me!  A trifecta of rainy runs!

Decided  not to do the flat river run because I've done that two nights in a row, but the little hilly loop locally.  I added another bit to it to make it 8km and again, I really enjoyed it!

My tummy muscles are sore in that really nice way you get after a good abs session - I had my regular PT session on Monday night before my run.  I am REALLY enjoying his sessions and quite frankly, they are not long enough.  I don't struggle with the strength aspect of the movements, but I do struggle terribly with the co-ordination.  Like patting your tummy and rubbing your head.  And both my physio and this PT have said that my brain is almost "set" to expect certain things, they call it neurological pathways, and he proved this to me this week.  Every time I do a squat he says "go lower" and I try but can't seem to.   I just accepted that I was inflexible in this regard.

So this week, he tells me to get lower and every week I think I CAN'T!!!  Then he says mid squat 'BEND YOUR KNEES" instead of "GET LOWER"  and guess what?  I got lower!  I got right into that squat.  90 degrees.  Him telling me to drop my ass wasn't sending the right message to my oddly wired up brain.  However, telling me to bend my knees worked.  I was quite interested in this.

So......I wonder.......is there something my brain is doing with my running that I could fix as easily???

I recall when I first started doing spin classes, I came out of there totally trashed, with thighs burning like I have never experienced.  I got talking to another, more experienced girl and she told me to take the load in my arse.  (Those were her words).  To this very day I have tried when I am either running or riding to transfer the load to where I have the biggest muscle.  I am not sure if I am doing it right.  And then again, when I am running, and I am thinking about running, it puts me off.  When I am thinking about how great a particular song is, or the construction of the string section in a song, or the clever way the guitars sound like a person wailing, or hang on, maybe that is a person wailing, well then I find myself motoring along fine thank you. 

So I think I have to stop overthinking every single little thing, and wondering if I am doing it right.  Lets face it, when you stand at the finishing chute of any marathon there are so many different styles of running, just like there are people who wouldn't even consider turning up to a race with lipstick or mascara.  Which leads me to wonder, will I be the only entrant in the North Face to be sporting fake hair, lippy and foundation?  And I wonder if it will be too cold for my groovy swirly running skirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment