Monday, April 19, 2010

Only two more days without benchtops!  This kitchen has taken so long to create, I tell you, the painting of the roof of the Sistene Chapel was probably speedier than the builder we managed to find.  I did smile at him through gritted teeth when he informed me it was going to be ANOTHER two weeks after the kitchen is finished to make two cushions for my window seat.  I could have knocked up one myself by now...keep smiling, he is already scared of me....I can tell.

Things I found amusing this week:  iTunes is telling me that The Beautiful Girls is FOLK music!!   Images of people dancing the Polka in dirndl skirts...

Anyway...life....continues to move in mysterious ways.  Last week the training was going great guns and I was wildly optimistic about life in general and The Race in particular.  This weekend was a total SHAMBLES in terms of training and now I am feeling wildly out of my depth, afraid and wishing to almighty god that I had never entered this race.  That's us Librans for you, keen on keeping a balance.  One week wild optimism the next we've got the fear of god in us.  Maybe that's not balance, maybe that's going from one extreme to the other, but anyway...

Friday night was the engagement party and in my head I envisaged myself bringing a four pack of sparkling mineral water, and staying lovely and clear headed.  So I have no idea then how I came to be reaching into the wine fridge in the local bottle shop and extracting a bottle of Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc, and drinking the lot whilst partaking of karaoke singing and dancing around with a microphone in my hand to AC/DCs "It's A Long Way To The Top". 

Saturday mornings 30km run was out of the question.  I woke up with a face full of cold sores and a thumping headache.  There was only one thing for it, so I sent Husband out for a Sausage McMuffin, took some nurofen and went back to sleep. 

Was feeling very guilty and stressed however at the lack of running, and was supposed to be going to Star City for the Sales Society Ball, so made my excuses for that, and headed out for a 15km run instead at 4.30pm.  It was very dark by the time I got home.  I explored some new local streets and to be honest, this run made me feel much better (I sweated out what was left of the Sauv blanc, my face was crispy with salt afterwards). 

The plan for Sunday was to get up at 5am and go to SMC to do the Half Marathon.  Another EPIC FAIL!!!   Went to bed super early, with everything ready to go, woke at 5am and thought, nup, can't get up.  Too bloody tired.  Treated myself to another three hours in bed and headed off to the Oaks Trail to do a very slow and uncomfortable 18km.  Ankles niggling, it felt like an effort to lift my arms - I considered pulling the pin at 2km but persevered, at least the run home was downhill (well sort of, until that last big hill).

Decided to have a few days off.  I am totally knackered, and am now having bad dreams again about this race (as well as very jumpy legs every night).  I woke up in the middle of the night last night having dreamt I was dying, so found myself sitting up in bed, gulping for breath.  Even my dreams are dramatic.  My ankles are getting stiff and sore and my heart is not in it.  I even cancelled Sven / Darren, so it felt really odd this morning heading off to work without looking like a packhorse, with bags of running gear, gym gear and the like.

Pretty sure a few days off (and NO SAUV BLANC) will fix me up and I will be raring to go by Wednesday!

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a Libran too and you sound perfectly balanced to me - life is sweet/balanced by sheer terror and panic = equilibrium. Have a rest - you need it and it will prevent you being injured. Maybe you are now entering that 'tapering' phase they talk about - you just didn't know you were tapering.

    ReplyDelete