Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stuff - running

Normally after a long run my body makes it very clear that it wants nothing to do with running and likes to go into hibernation and lick its proverbial wounds.  Lately though I haven't been getting that terribly smashed up feeling after long runs and despite having a big weekend, I got out on Monday and ran at lunchtime and FELT BLOODY BRILLIANT!!  What is it about keeping going that makes you feel stronger?

Anyway, I asked Colin if he fancied running down to the weir at lunchtime instead of going around the lake, and he said yes.  He wanted to do his squat jump / sprint / jog / squat jump routine, so we ran along together, he did his stuff and caught up.  We got to the Rowing Club where there is a steep grassy bank.  It's school holidays and the kids were all on the steep slope with pieces of cardboard, "sleighing" down the bank.  There was really no need for words, as Colin and I are both big kids at heart - up we went, grabbed a spare piece of cardboard (there were heaps of them) and we were off.  Colin gave me an almighty push and before I knew it I was heading for the river, on my arse, in broad daylight in front of a herd of kids.  But my god it felt good!!!  We ran back to work giggling and happy.  

Tuesday I was meant to get up early and meet Branden for hill repeats, but I think my big weekend of running, jumping, climbing up trees and putting on makeup had taken its toll and I slept right through.  I woke up clutching my phone (which doubles as an alarm clock) feeling very guilty.  I took that as a message from "body central" to say I was a little bit tired, so had a day of rest.  I was back in bed by 8.15pm.  

Today I ran the Boorea Street loop with Simon, which was lovely because we had a sleep in till 6am and I didn't feel quite as unfit going up the hill as I did the first time I ran it with him.  I enjoy my morning runs with Simon because we blether on about stuff and before you know it the run is over - plus having pre arranged to meet someone forces you to get out of bed and do it.  

I had to have a massage today because my legs felt like blocks of concrete.  I didn't manage to score the fat chinese man who looks like a sumo, but instead got someone who pulled at my toes and made me giggle terribly.  He rubbed lots of tiger balm and something else into my feet and legs and I came back to work smelling like a Sunday Roast, I think he may have be using lard.  Anyway he was quite insipid and not nearly as full on as the fat sumo man who told me he would "fix" my achilles.  I think I need to stalk up and down past the shop front until fat sumo man is free.  He hurt like hell but appeared to fix the ankles, even if only temporarily. 

Tonight I had my PT session with Sven / Darren from Shalvey.  Half an hour isn't really enough, and I am thinking I really should be doing this on my own now, I know enough of what I should be doing, it is just having the discipline to do it.  I also ran a little bit on the treadmill, but by god that is boring.  


Saturday morning there are eight or nine of us running from Woodford to Glenbrook, with a few of us doing the return journey up again.  I know this will be a toughie, and I will be on my own for the upward journey, but will be good training for me.  After all, I now know there is a killer hill about 34km into the North Face that will knock my socks off if I am not prepared.


So tomorrow I might have some kind of easy run - perhaps down to the weir and back at lunch, save the legs for the onslaught of Saturday!!   In a perverse way, I am actually looking forward to it.  I guess that means I am mentally ready.  Some might just say mental. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment