Saturday, January 30, 2010

Longest run for me today and biggest running week

...and I am shattered.....!!!

The run was Woodford - Gates on the Oaks Trail - back up to Woodford.  Hills, hills and more hills.  Hardly any flats.  Up or down.  Lots of hills.  Many hills.  Did I say it was hilly?

Anyway, ran with Miss Beautiful Bernadette, and really wanted to make the most of the day.  However ankles had other plans.  We ended up finishing 34 very hilly kms in 5 hrs and 2mins.  I needed to stop every now and then to adjust my ankles, let them out of their shoes, unravel my bandage and stretch, etc. 

I won't lie and say the run was fun.  The run was freaking hard and I was in pain for about 70% of it.  However the company was awesome and the kms just kept racking up.  And it is good to hear how others train, and it was heartening to hear that it is not all running that makes you stronger.

Straight afterwards I felt good at finishing my longest ever run and my biggest ever week (81km).

However I realised today those ankles need a break if they are to recover.

So AT LEAST a week off,  maybe two.

When I came home, I actually swore that I would never run again, so sore were my ankles.  Voltarin and icing and compresssion socks weren't helping and I actually spewed and I think it may have been from feeling sick from the pain.  God that sounds dramatic.  But it wasnt very nice.

So, I hung out till the clock said 5pm and poured a glass of red.  After the first glass, the pain subsided.

I was planning to drink enough red so that I could not feel my legs, but having a couple of medicinal glasses has helped....no need for desperate measures.

This blog is very serious.  It is not like me at all.  I wonder if I should just pull out of this freaking race.

But then my determined little inner voice says DON'T GIVE UP!!!  So I will wait and see how things go.  No giving up yet.  Getting orthotics Thursday.  Should help.  Fingers crossed. 

2 comments:

  1. 81km week! That's great ground work you're doing Sonia, let your ankles heal and get into those orthodics when they're ready and these miles you are putting in now will still be in your legs come May. Remember that self massage I was telling you about on Tuesday, I wish I'd had a better chance to show you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, you won't give up. These long hard mileages are a taste of things to come.

    Bloody proud of you! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete