Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Don't eat the peas

It is now about 6 weeks away (or four long runs away) from North Face and am I feeling any more prepared?  NOOOOOOO!!!

Last night my friend Marie came to visit and described how she was coming to the finish line, with a picnic table, a range of cheeses (blue vein and camembert), a selection of wines and a variety of in season stonefruit.  Maries' husband was the chef at Lilianfels and Marie herself likes nothing better than menu planning and talking about menu planning.  I didn't have the heart to tell her I will probably be sniffing around for some dry bread and large quantities of water.  It will be cool to have some friends at the finish line and I suspect the shame of letting them and myself down will be a motivator in getting my sorry arse along the course.

Speaking of last night, I got home to find my better half had prepared dinner for our guests and was already stuck into the sauvignon blanc and I didn't have the heart to say that the peas he had used in the curry were the same peas that were in the freezer and acted as an ice pack for my dicky ankle for most of the summer, being defrosted and refrozen more times than I can recall.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that curry sort of preserves food....

Anyway, training this last few weeks has been going ok:

Monday 5km run - blisters not very happy, it was hot and I felt unfit and yuck.
Tuesday 12km run home - using the term "run" loosely as still suffering from blisters etc - felt decidedly like a loser with my camelbak, garmin only to be seen WALKING.  All the gear and no idea kept going over and over in my head.
Wed 25km on the bike
Thurs - 5 ugly kms round the lake - hard.  I hate running around that lake.  It is soooo boring and flat and hard!!
Friday - NOTHING!
Saturday - 10km incorporating the stairs up to Elizabeth Lookout - good run, enjoyed this.  Experimented with "draining" my legs of lactic acid by lying on the ground with my feet up in the air.  Remarkably this worked wonderfully and was able to run all the hills home - I wonder if I can employ this tactic at the top of the Golden Staircase in the actual race.....
Sunday - SMC 10km (crap time but felt nice.  Really enjoyed this run )
Monday - Personal Training session with Sven / Darrren and a 9kg kettle bell followed by the River Run - ouch in the legs!   No really, OUCH!  Tried lying on a picnic table with legs in the air to drain legs again.  I will admit that I thought about Sundays run lots on Monday and really couldn't wait to get out there and run again on Monday night.  I LOVE that feeling and it has been missing for quite some time.
Tuesday - 6.5km local run featuring upwards up Boorea Street - legs v tired after last night but kept going out of pride mainly, certainly not fitness.

Today I plan to have a nanna nap right now, having declared the working day over due to lack of interest and later I will either do the Boorea Street run again or the river run.  On Saturday I am going to run from Glenbrook up the Oaks Trail.  Not sure if I will go all the way to Woodford and get the train home (hard going) or will go 14km up and 14km down (easier option but no need for trains etc).  I will commit to 28 km anyway.  There - said it, have to do it.  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment